WHAT IS HYPNOTHERAPY?
Hypnosis is a state of relaxation and concentration at one with the state of heightened awareness induced by suggestion. It is a natural trance state, like daydreaming, when the mind is relaxed and focused, where time passes very quickly, accompanied by good feelings of deep relaxation of mind and body.
Hypnotherapy is a treatment that is based on the premise that the mind and body do not work in isolation. By sending the patient into a hypnotic state, the therapist aims to trigger the body’s mental and physical self-healing processes that lie in the subconscious.
Anybody can be sent into a hypnotic state; it is not a sign of gullibility or suggestibility on the part of the patient. Hypnosis induces a state of relaxation and concentration that practitioners claim is a natural manifestation of the mind at work.
When undergoing hypnotherapy, patients are conscious and aware, but are open to the power of suggestion. They cannot be induced to do anything against their will.
ARE THERE SOME PEOPLE WHO CANNOT BE HYPNOTISED?
Everyone is capable of sleep and trance experiences such as daydreaming and can therefore be hypnotised. Hypnosis is a natural phenomenon and even animals are capable of experiencing hypnosis spontaneously.
There are some exceptions, such as young children, people with mental difficulties or those with extremely sub-normal intelligence. Psychotic patients are not advised to undergo hypnosis.
WILL I BE AWARE OF WHAT’S HAPPENING WHEN UNDER HYPNOSIS?
Yes. The word ‘hypnosis’ derives from Hypnos, the Greek god of sleep, but most people experiencing hypnosis are far from actually sleeping. The predominant feeling of most people is that it cannot have worked and they did not ‘go under’.
People experiencing hypnosis may appear to others to be asleep, but they can think, talk, open their eyes and respond to suggestion freely. When under hypnosis, people are usually aware of their surroundings and can hear everything going on around them, including the hypnotherapist’s voice.
WHAT IS SELF-HYPNOSIS?
All hypnosis is self-hypnosis, meaning that the hypnotherapist is only a guide or catalyst to elicit the trance experience in the client. The power of hypnosis resides in the client, not in the hypnotherapist.
HOW DOES HYPNOTHERAPY WORK?
Scientists are not really sure how it works. The autonomic nervous system controls all the automatic functions of the body while we are asleep and it has been proven that words and suggestion can affect the central nervous system while we are awake.
Distracting the conscious mind causes a dissociation of the conscious and unconscious mind and is the first step in inducing hypnosis. There are many differing techniques a hypnotherapist can use to put a client into hypnosis.
By talking to their clients in a soothing voice and getting them to visualise relaxing and monotonous situations, practitioners are able to send their clients into a state of very deep relaxation where they will still be aware of their surroundings but are very much more sensitive to suggestion.
Once the patient has closed their eyes, the hypnotherapist deepens the trance by suggesting to the conscious mind to daydream or relax. While the conscious mind is inactive the subject is likely to respond to all suggestions literally. Positive suggestions are then introduced and absorbed by the conscious mind.
When in this state, the patient’s subconscious can be ‘reprogrammed’ to deal with certain feelings in a different way and as such, hypnotherapy is not only very effective in the treatment of phobias, addictions, but it can also reduce stress and alleviate pain.
HOW SUCCESSFUL IS HYPNOTHERAPY?
Practitioners and researchers claim success rates of 90% and higher for professionally conducted hypnotherapy, that is followed up with a treatment plan and self-hypnosis tapes.
A research project in the UK found that 92% of those who had attended a hypnotherapist would recommend the experience to others. The Irish Institute of Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy claim an 80% success rate in treating clients for smoking.
WHAT AILMENTS IS HYPNOTHERAPY SUITABLE FOR TREATING?
Hypnotherapy is useful for treating a variety of complaints, both physical and mental. Used in conjunction with other therapies, such as psychoanalysis, hypnotherapy can help patients to overcome certain psychological complaints, including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, depression, phobias, and neuroses.
It is particularly useful for overcoming phobias, and ceasing problematic habitual behaviour, like stammering, snoring, smoking, teeth grinding, sleepwalking or nail biting.
It can also help alleviate some of the symptoms of physical complaints like allergies, travel sickness, insomnia and irritable bowel syndrome. Used in conjunction with conventional medical treatment, hypnotherapy has demonstrated positive benefits in the treatment of cancer.
Hypnotherapy is also useful in providing general health benefits, such as improving posture and digestion, reducing dependence on sleeping pills or tranquillisers, and helping to eradicate stress.
WHEN IS HYPNOTHERAPY NOT RECOMMENDED?
Hypnotherapy is not generally advisable for mentally disturbed or psychotic patients. Some psychiatric professionals do use hypnotherapy in conjunction with orthodox treatments for patients with such conditions, but always within an institutional environment where other forms of treatment are also available.
Patients suffering from schizophrenia, bipolar conditions, suicidal tendencies, senility, alcohol or drug psychosis, pathological personalities or manic depression are generally advised not to undergo hypnotherapy.
While hypnotherapy is useful in alleviating mild cases of depression, it is contra-indicated for manic depression and bipolar conditions. It is also contraindicated in some cases of epilepsy.
The Irish Institute of Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy consider that any organic symptomology should not be treated by hypnotherapy until a doctor has made a diagnosis and recommended hypnotherapy as a course of treatment.
HOW MANY HYPNOTHERAPY SESSIONS WILL I NEED?
Every hypnotherapist has their own way of approaching different symptoms, depending on their training and experience. On average between six and eight sessions might be expected for most ailments, whereas one session may be sufficient to cease smoking.
REIKI LEVEL 1
EARLY BIRD PRICE NOW (€150)
When: Saturday May 12th & Sunday May 13th
This workshop is limited to places. Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided.
What the workshop involves:
- There are seven rays of Reiki, you will be attuned to the first ray
- You will learn about what Reiki is and the history of Reiki
- You will learn about the Chakas and the aura
- You will be shown techniques for scanning, cleansing and protecting the aura
- There will be a guided meditation
- You will learn the hand positions for self healing
- You will be shown the hand positions for treating others.
- After learning how to treat others you will both give and receive a full treatment.
After the workshop:
- You will be confident to give a treatment to friends and family.
- you will know how to self treat an will have the amazing ability to channel Reiki for life
You will receive:
- A Reiki level 1 manual & Certificate
- Ongoing support and advice & invitation to free Reiki Share.
Investment: €150 (€50 deposit) Early bird price until April 27th
Mindfulness: The Mayonnaise Jar and the Coffee
When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the coffee.
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They all agreed that it was.
The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They all agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous “yes”. The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed!
“Now,” said the professor, as the laughter subsided,
“I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things–your God, family, your children, your health, your friends and your favourite passions–things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car. The sand is everything else – the small stuff.
Spend time with your family. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.”
“If you put the sand into the jar first,” he continued,
“there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things tat are critical to your happiness. Play with your children.”
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.
The professor smiled and said,
“I’m glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.”
The true history of Tarot cards maybe never known but they have been used for hundreds of years as a guidance, to show what lies ahead and to gain access to your inner knowing. There are many messages in the cards and various decks. Each cards hold a specific personal message for each person. No two readings will ever be the same but when used with your intuition and inner knowing this is a fabulous way to work out daily issues and help express feelings and thoughts.
This workshop is limited to places. Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided.
What the workshop involves:
There are seven rays of Reiki, you will be attuned to the first ray
You will learn about what Reiki is and the history of Reiki
You will learn about the Chakas and the aura
You will be shown techniques for scanning, cleansing and protecting the aura
There will be a guided meditation
You will learn the hand positions for self healing
You will be shown the hand positions for treating others.
After learning how to treat others you will both give and receive a full treatment.
After the workshop:
You will be confident to give a treatment to friends and family.
you will know how to self treat an will have the amazing ability to channel Reiki for life
You will receive:
A Reiki level 1 manual & Certificate
Ongoing support and advice & invitation to free Reiki Share.
Investment: €150 (€50 deposit)
The full super moon of tomorrow night promises to be spectacular……….the end of a cycle and making room for new ventures, desires, friends, dreams and hopes. Tune into what you really want and what your deserve, set your intentions and send it up to the moon to manifest all your desires
So its the start of another year, another month, week or day……….which ever it is, its a start, and you have decided to make a few changes….positive changes. You may have read about The Law of Attraction, meditation or noticed that the positive people around you seem to get happier and have what they want or that you feel its time to step out of your comfort zone.
So heres a few simple ideas to help you get started on your journey. The only thing to remember is that everything takes practice so it wont all be perfect straight away so get get stressed or give out to yourself.
• Morning Meditation: this is simply putting intention into a day dream so its not as complicated as some make it out to be. Focus with a positive thought for the day. Start simple with something like gratitude. “Today I am grateful for everything I have in my life so far and for all that is coming my way”. Spend about 3-5 minutes in bed before getting up thinking this over and over and feeling the gratitude.
• look for opportunity: everywhere you go notice the opportunity past, present and future. Start to realise that once the car you are driving was an idea before it became an object and before someone made money from producing it. the same goes for almost every item you touch. they were all ideas or concepts at one stage and brought to fruition by people who saw opportunity and money was made from this. in every experience there is opportunity. Think to yourself when you notice a great invention “wow, I could think of something like that”
• Using Crystals: Everything has a vibration. Even stones and rocks. Some crystals/stones/rocks can bring positive energy your way. Clear quartz is fabulous for cleansing the energy around you and you home especially computers and devices. Citrine is the crystal of abundance…..abundance of what ever you wish for. Money, fertility, work etc. place citrine in your purse or wallet to attract abundance. believe it is on the way and you will soon find that you do not worry about cash flow as much. When you worry you block the abundance.
• Moon energy: Connect with the moon. Go out to the garden on a full moon and soak up the energy. When there is a new moon write all your desires and intentions on a piece of paper and burn them in a fire pit or metal bowl and send the energy up to the moon energy. When you trust in the process you will feel positive and attract what you have wished for.
• Burn essential oils: Essential oils have many healing properties and can be used as room freshers or as body sprays. Try rubbing oils between your hands and walk into the aroma and the energy. Always seek advice when using oils and dilute accordingly. Rowan oil is good for protection, frankincense is excellent for starting new journeys. Try these in oil burners in the home.
• Vision boards: Gather lots of pictures from magazines, books and the internet of the many things you wish in your life. This can be the new car you dream about, a new relationship, a holiday or many other desires. Paste them on a cardboard sheet and make it colourful and pleasant to look at. Each day look at all the items you would love to have and feel that the universe is providing these for you. It is all on the way once you believe you deserve it and you are living life in accordance to your higher self.
• Journaling: This is not for every one but start with a few sentences of what was positive in your day before you go to sleep. this should also encourage deep, restful and happy sleep.
• Start noticing symbols: white feathers, butterflies, figure of 8 infinity symbols etc. These can be your validation from the universe that it is all working out and to keep doing what you are doing.
• Daily Mantra: pick a mantra to help you see the day with positive light. Nice and simple and say it to yourself from time to time. This all encourages positive thought process and reprogramming of old negative thought patterns. “ I feel happy and grateful for this lovely day”, “ When i smile if feel good and so do others”
• Smile: it uses less muscles than frowning but once you smile you will find you feel happier. Why? Generally because people mimic by nature and smile back at you. When you see a smile you release endorphins in the brain or happy hormones so you just feel happier. It means handling any negativity or stress is easier so its win win.
• Like minded people: Surround yourself with like minded people. We all know that feeling of depression or sadness after being with certain people who just can’t see to have any thing polite to say so the opposite it also true. Once you are around happy and positive people the energy changes to match that.
• Have fun: Just relax a little and don’t be so serious. No one will steal your house work or the dust. don’t sweat the small stuff and watch the nice stuff come your way.
Gift Certificates Available for Christmas.
All therapies included
Indian Head Massage
Emotional Freedom technique